craft table coffee table kitchen table shop contact me

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Stripped Away

I started off the morning with Lily screaming. I went in to see what was going on and my mom was changing her diaper and she was in full protest! As I left her room with her in my arms I noticed Gabe in the bathroom. Gabe decided to slam the bathroom door in our face which resulted in him playing in his room instead of watching television.

Gabe kept complaining about being in his room so I suggested that we just get rid of his toys, give them to someone who would appreciate them and take care of them. He didn't think that was such a great idea. So, I decided that since he was going to be in his room, it was Saturday with no agenda that I would purge his toys and just organize for the new year with his help. So, I started that process, Gabe eagerly helped me. Then he slowly drifted out of interest. He couldn't watch tv but he managed to sneak his way to the end of the hallway so he could catch a glimpse of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. So, I told him that he needed to come and help which resulted in him telling me he didn't want to. I said but Gabe we really need to take care of the things that God has given us. Well, he didn't think so. So, I once again suggested that we just box up everything and give it to someone who wanted it and which then his response was, I Don't Care! Fine I thought, I don't care either.

So, before I knew it my reorganizing, purging, turned into a hurry to just put things together, throw out the broken things and get it in the garage. With Bill's full support and help we boxed, bagged, and corralled all of his toys and moved them to the garage.

With Gabe in full revolt we sat on the couch and watched as we moved everything "fun" into the garage. With tears streaming down his face we hauled and moved his stuff all to hopefully drive home the point. We really do need to be thankful and appreciate all the things God has given us.

He has had such a selfish, negative, ungrateful attitude lately and I am no longer going to tolerate it. He has no respect for people or his things. I don't want to wait until he is 11 years old to try and drive home this point. I want to nip it when he is still moldable and changeable. I feel like some how we have fallen short yet again to teach him but I don't know where. I feel like he is growing up in a well-balanced home.

I am just praying for this to hit home, to sink in, to change his thinking even just a little bit. He is smarter than we give credit for and understands more than we think. When it's time to manipulate a situation he can figure it out quite well. I am tired of fighting this battle daily to play with toys that just sit and collect dust.

Then I wonder if we are just giving him too much. Do we spoil him. Do we give give give to some how make us feel better? I don't feel like we do. I think we try and make it balance out that he gets rewarded with good things. He doesn't just get things every single time we go to a store. Perhaps I need to come up with more creative ways for him to give back and give to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...