craft table coffee table kitchen table shop contact me

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Galumpkis (Stuffed Cabbage)

Don't wrinkle up your nose just yet.  This is sooo yummy!  I don't make it very often but I received this HUGE head of cabbage in my bountiful basket last week so I just had to make some stuffed cabbage with it.

Here is the original recipe I normally use:

Ingredients:
Head of cabbage
2 cups cooked rice
1 lb. ground turkey
1 tbs. italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic
2 cans tomato sauce or 1 jar spaghetti sauce
Salt & Pepper


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees or make the day before & stick in the fridge.


Pour a small amount of sauce into a baking dish and set aside.


Remove core from cabbage.  Remove leaves under cold running water.  Boil a large pot of water and add your cabbage leaves 4-5 at a time for about 8 minutes.  They need to be limp so you can roll them up.  (will have to cook in stages)


While you boil your leaves, brown & drain your ground turkey, cook your rice according to the bag, and mix the two items together.  Stir in 1/2 of your tomato sauce, your italian seasoning & season with salt & pepper.  Set filling mixture aside & finish cooking your cabbage leaves.  Once your cabbage leaves are cooked set on a towel to drain and cool off before filling.  


Scoop in filling at the stem end of the cabbage leaf and start to roll up, tucking in the sides and place seam side down in your prepared baking dish.  Repeat until dish is full.  Spoon sauce over the top of the rolls and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

This recipe is super easy and can be modified and changed to whatever you might just have on hand.  Check out how I made them today!

I used the same steps as above with the ground turkey, but instead of rice I used quinoa and cooked it according to the directions on the bag.  1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups water.  I also added some shredded kale, and shredded zucchini to my mixture to give it an extra boost of veggies.

Super yummy, healthy & even if your kids don't like the cabbage they will probably like the filling inside!  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just LOVE Bountiful Baskets??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do! I was super excited to see all the add ons this time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...